Subject: Re: Struggling with RiscBSD: Update
To: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
From: Scott Ashcroft <ashcroft@campus.bt.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/16/1997 22:10:23
On Tue 16 Sep, Tony Houghton wrote:
> In message <9709161719.ZM27178@picasso.me.ic.ac.uk>
>           "Robert Black" <r.black@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > The type of shell you use is set in your user entry in the passwd
> > file.
>
> As a beginner learning slowly, it looks to me that while learning the
> Bourne shell (sh) is pretty much essential, as it's the default, most
> experienced users prefer C shell or a derivative as their user shell.

What shell users use depends on a lot of things but mostly what they were
introduced to UNIX on.

I started on HPs so tend to use ksh or bash, if ksh is not available.
HP's csh was always very poor.

People who start out on BSD or old SunOS systems tend to use csh or
more likely now tcsh.

If you have only ever seen Linux then you would probably use bash.

Its all just a question of taste.

Learning to program the bourne shell is important though as its best
for scripts (you know it will always be there). Don't even think about
csh scripting.

Scott

--
Scott Ashcroft		ashcroft@campus.bt.com