Subject: Re: Getting started, and using X
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/16/1997 20:01:37
In message <9709161306.ZM26739@picasso.me.ic.ac.uk>
          "Robert Black" <r.black@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Right, time for some Magic.
>
> Three things which might help:
>
> stty echoe
> stty erase <ctrl-V><delete>
> tset <terminal type>

Isn't there some other sort of Magic necessary to get those things
entered into a script using vi or emacs?

> The documentation for RiscBSD does make a lot of assumptions about
> things working first time and if they don't it provides very little
> assistance for people who have no knowledge of UNIX(R) and I have to
> admit that getting a system up from scratch can be a little bit
> daunting. What is really needed in addition to the RiscBSD
> documentation is a good book on UNIX. My ex-girlfriend learnt from a
> combination of manual pages (type 'man man' for further details) and
> 'UNIX POWER TOOLS' (Random House / Jerry Peek, Tim O'Reilly and Mike
> Loukides / ISBN 0-679-79073-X) - chapters 1 & 2 being a particularly
> good introduction to the concept of a UNIX shell. Some people may find
> this book too scary. This doesn't cover X.

I opted for a cheaper route, using Essential System Administration
backed up with UNIX In A Nutshell, both from O'Reilly. They seem quite
helpful (and the latter is amazing value) although I haven't bothered to
run RiscBSD since getting the books. I just wanted to play with it to be
honest, then realised it's not exactly a toy :-/.

My books don't cover X either. Don't bother with Learning the UNIX
Operating System as recommended in one of the docs accompanying RiscBSD.
It's a bit Mickey Mouse, and if you're at that level you don't stand
much chance with RiscBSD anyway.

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/