Subject: Re: printing dont try this!
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/10/1997 19:36:13
In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.970909181807.20262A-100000@black-star.demon.co.uk> you wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Adrian P. Ireland wrote:
> > Is anyone able to print through the printer port?
>
> Yes but only using /dev/lpa0 instead of /dev/lpt0.  FYI /dev/lpa0 is the
> parallel port in polled mode. /dev/lpt0 is the parallel port in interrupt
> driven mode.

Thanks Mike,

I am up and running again and changing from lpt0 to lpa0 lets printing work.

I was able to reboot and the maching kept on trying to save a core dump
and ran out of space on the disk. I was able to get rid of this by the
-c option in savecore (I think).

Now everything seems back to normal and I can print!

dvilj4 from teTeX makes a nice lj file that I can just send to
the printer with lpr xxxx.lj

for other peoples reference my /etc/printcap file looks like this
..[cut here]...
#	$NetBSD: printcap,v 1.3 1996/05/08 17:19:45 thorpej Exp $
#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

# Original and the best
#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
#
# Adrians hacked bit, thanks to Mike Pumford.
lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpa0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
..[cut here]...

Adrian

P.S.
Does anyone know where can I get some HPLJ4,5,6 filters for text files?
e.g what is the easiest way to format a c listing for the HPLJ printer?
or send a man page?
--
Adrian Ireland mailto:aireland@mail.indigo.ie Put it off until tomorrow.
An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.