Subject: Re: Some post installation niggles
To: Simon Knott <sid@dynarx.demon.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/07/1997 20:08:45
> 2.  Is it possible to shutdown the system without logging in as root.
> My main user id belongs to wheel and operator groups so I can execute
> the shutdown command but can't execute the halt command.  I tried using
> shutdown -kh which I thought would do the trick but the response is
> "You'll have to do it yourself"

	On one system I made halt/reboot setuid root, which allows anyone
	to reboot the machine

	(as root)
	chown 0 `which halt`
	chmod u+s `which halt`

	If you only want 'account' (as well as root :) to be able to halt
	the machine

	(as root)
	mkdir 		~account/special
	chmod 700	~account/special
	chown special	~account/special
	cp `which halt` ~account/special
	chown 0		~account/special/halt
	chmod u+s	~account/special/halt

	The add 'alias halt ~account/special/halt' to the .cshrc of
	account :)

	I would expect the same to apply to 'shutdown' - I'm just in
	too much of a hurry to use it :)