Subject: Re: A7000+ Installation
To: David <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/07/1997 02:25:50
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, David wrote:

> I've been trying to install RiscBSD on my A7000+, but seem to have hit
> some problems. I've downloaded some kernels and the bootloader, and
> created a boot disc, according to the instructions. I've re-formatted my
> HD and run bb_riscbsd. I've found I get further with the A7000-5326
> kernel. I've set up the root device as /dev/rd0 and the swap device as
> /dev/wd1b. Single user mode is selected and I've set Video DRAM to 800K.
> All the other options have been left as I found them, with the RAM disc
> set to 1440K. The problem I have is that, it starts booting, accesses the
> boot floppy and prints lots of hopeful messages on the screen. Then it
> asks what the root & swap devices are, so I give it /dev/fd0a and
> /dev/wd1b. It then prints "Warning no swap space" followed by the prompt
> to enter the path for a shell or return for sh, at which point it hangs,
> responding only to the reset button.
>
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
  Ok the currently A7000 kernels do not support the A7000+. This is mainly
because as yet I have not had access to one to sort things out. This
weekend I have been given the information that is needed to support this
so I hope to build a A7000 kernel that is compatible. The main problem
that stops A7000 kernels working is the ARM7500Fe has a different IOC ID
from the ARM7500 and as such various drivers fail to attach e.g. the
keyboard as they do not reconise the on chip IOC. This is why things hang
at the press return stage.

Cheers,
				Mark