Subject: Bug in vi???
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/18/1997 20:57:46
Hi,

After many triails and tribulations I have got RiscBSD up and running.
Most of the sets are off the Uniqueway CD ROM.
Most of the trials were due to me not doing what it said in install.txt
and the tribulations were due to my lack of Unix know how.

I am using the voy-5328 kernel on a RPC 600 38Mb SA RO 3.7

Three things I have noticed:

Vi bug??
~~~~~~~~
In vi if I press O to open a new line without doing any other inserting
first the program crashes and dies and I cannot use the console where
it happened again.

This does not happen with vim 5.0 alpha which compiled and worked without
any trouble.

Anyone else noticed this with vi?

Funny colours on console if Video DRAM is set to more than 0K.
If I set the Video DRAM to anything more than 0K my console has
coloured lines on it and I cannot see any text. It lookes like
something has written to the Video RAM.

I notice that the kernal notices the amount of VRAM I actually have
on booting.

X does nothing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have Xarm-27.

Well, I start it with

/usr/X11R6.1/bin/X

and the banner comes up and then an X in the middle of the grey screen.
If I switch back to the console that I started it from there are some
messages about the mouse not being noticed and it using the keypad
there is also something about switching but nil else.

If is switch back and forth to the X console Still nothing.

I know very little about X, how do I get it to run say xcalc or one
of the apps.

Helpful comments appreciated,

Adrian
--