Subject: [Fwd: Re: LKMs and generic dev driver]
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul S. Wain <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/16/1997 14:56:04

--------------515F37E0681A

Opps, forgot to CC the list...

P.

--------------515F37E0681A

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 14:45:09 -0700
From: "Paul S. Wain" <pwain@nc.com>
To: Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de
Subject: Re: LKMs and generic dev driver

Petet,

Peter Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what is the current state of LKMs for RiscBSD ?

As part of the work that Mark et al did for NCI to get the dynamic
linking
of libraries working, LKMs sort of fell out in the wash. I believe those
of us that are running RiscBSD 1.2G (the limited release soon to be made
'production'), already are using LKMs without realizing it - I didnt
check
but just before it was released for testing the least version I had used
LKMs for msdos disks.

> How can I write direct to the parallelport ?

I believe you can do this in the same way that you write directly to the
serial port. Take a look at the READ and WRITE macros in the kernel. As
I understand it these are just mappings to the raw IO stuff so they
should
be able to access the parallel port.

> I also need to modify the states of the Busy and Strobe signals, but have no
> idea how.

Hrm, this sounds like its probably going to be through one of the
ioctl's but
no idea which one...

Paul

--------------515F37E0681A--