Subject: Re: popclient problem
To: None <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
From: None <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/15/1997 10:49:32
Hi Alex.
In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970813220910.288A-100000@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> you wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 imm@nethotel.dk wrote:
> > I cannot fetch mail from my mail-server.
> > When running popclient with the following command:
> [snip]
> > When I'm fetching mail using !POP from RiscOS I can see that !POP
> > issues the commands TOP and LIST for each mail to be downloaded.
> > I guess that this is what popclient has to do instead of issuing
> > the LAST command. But how do I get popclient to do that?
> > Or is there something else I have overlooked?
>
> TOP <msg> <lines> returns the top few lines of a message, plust its
> header. This can beused to return the header only. List returns stats
> about each message (or a selected message). RETR returns the whole
> message.

You are right. !Pop does also issue a RETR-command when fetching
mail, I did not notice it when I wrote my message.

> popclient seems to be issuing last, which I think has something to do with
> the last read message in the mailbox. Are you transferring messages which
> you have already transferred from Risc OS? If so then try adding the -a
> switch as suggested elsewere (to transfer all messages) or send yourself a
> test message, don't transfer it, and then see if just the new message is
> transferred.

I have not fetched the messages from RiscOS before I tried popclient
from RiscBSD. But (as you suggest) it is the -a parameter that does
the trick. It seems a little odd to me that it has to be applied
when fetching new mail, but perhaps all mail is marked as old on
my mail-server??

Anyway, I am now able to fetch my mail.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who helped me solve this problem.

Regards
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen
Email (at work):         imm@kmd.dk

.. The wise don't merely stalk their prey, they make the kill.