Subject: Re: pppd ...
To: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/13/1997 00:26:46
In message <200008120916.LAA00564@Kyra.FutureGroove.de> you wrote:

> > In message <Pine.SGI.3.96.970811081634.26838K-100000@irony.anim.dreamwo=
> rks.com> you wrote:
> > =
>
> > > 	Are you running routed? ppp seems to have problems setting the
> > > 	route if routed is running...
>
> PPP is (AFAIK) not a good solution. There were several problems with it i=
> =2Ee. =
>
> the kernel hangs, the connection freezes etc. I don't know wheter they ar=
> e now =
>
> all solved.
> I use dip because of them.

Hmmm. I thought that's an idea, but the manpage of dip claims it can only
do SLIP and CSLIP while it mentions ppp at a different place.

In my limited experience, I had no stability problems with pppd and it works
as expected once routed is killed (BTW: Can anyone tell me where routed
is started so that I can disable it permanently ?).

> here is the script I used for building a PPP connection. I hope that help=
> s.

I'll sure try it.

BTW, I've just built gimp for the new beta release.
It is SLOOOOOW, but not really slower than other apps of similar size.
I think it's usuable in the sense emacs is usuable (on a Powertec system).

BTW, I wanted to compile Mosaic and got the latest non-beta release.
However, I was somehow discouraged by the frequent mentioning of
"Motif" in the INSTALL/README file.

Does it use/need motif, and if yes, is this also true for the later
beta versions (suppose not, or how did whoever did it compile it for
RiscBSD) ?

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske