Subject: Motif (was Re: pppd ...)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul S. Wain <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1997 16:11:06
> BTW, I wanted to compile Mosaic and got the latest non-beta release.
> However, I was somehow discouraged by the frequent mentioning of
> "Motif" in the INSTALL/README file.
>
> Does it use/need motif, and if yes, is this also true for the later
> beta versions (suppose not, or how did whoever did it compile it for
> RiscBSD) ?

Yes all version of Mosaic (and for that matter Netscape as well) need
Motif.

As for how versions exist? Well Motif 1.x will compiler under NetBSD/arm32
straight out of the box so to speak (if you follow the 6 cavat lines in
the README file).

However there is a catch. Whilst you can distribute programs built with
Motif, you cannot distribute a library (or .a version) of Motif without a
very expensive license.

So if someone who has a motif license builds Mosaic for you (with Motif
statically linked) then all is okay.

However to build it yourself without the license... no chance... (Although
a do remember a very old Xaw version of Mosaic floating around....)

Paul