Subject: Re: tin problems
To: None <imm@nethotel.dk>
From: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1997 22:47:40
> Hi there!
>

> I do also have some problems with tin 1.3 BETA-950824-16colors PLO [UNIX]
> (c) Copyright 1991-94 Iain Lea.
>

> When I try to post a news-message from tin, I get the following
> error (approximately, I cannot read the complete message):
>
> PROBLEM_WITH_YOUR_MAIL_GATEWAY_FILE
> Read the INSTALL file again.

I posted the solution for this problem some days ago ;)

type in

	echo `hostname`.`domainname` > /etc/inews_mail_gateway

> As I got ctin as a set I cannot find the INSTALL file and do not know
> what to do. (I have just found a comment from Peter Berg stating that
> the file /etc/inews_mail_gateway must exist, so that will probably
> take care of the error.) But where do I find the INSTALL file anyway?

Only in the source package ;)
There are no informations in it for configuring a binary distrib.

> IIRC it was Peter Berg who made the RiscBSD port of tin, so maybe
> you (Peter :-) can answer the following questions:
>
> According to the man pages tin should read the name of the
> nntpserver from file /etc/nntpserver. But if I unset the
> environment variable NNTPSERVER, then tin will refuse to start
> because it cannot find NNTP-server news.tu-freiberg.de (when
> I am offline).

(If you are online, then it should work, doesn't it ?)

If no env. variable is set it falls back to the compile time defaults. And if
no newsserver is available at all (local or remote), tin doesn't have any kind
of sense.

> This surely must mean that tin does not read
> the hostname in /etc/nntpserver. How do I get tin to do that?

Probably I compiled it without the option that servers are read from this file.
If you can't live with and env. variable, then you'll have to recompile it.

> Finally I would like to know where to get the tin-source from,
> because I want to make an addition to the save article-option:
> As far as I can see there is missing the option of base64 decoding.

Good question. I forgot where I got it from. This version is already a patched
one (colorized) and not the standard distribution.

I can mail you the ~600KB tarball.

Ciao, Peter