Subject: Re: mail/news programs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Berg <berg@mailserv.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/07/1997 10:48:20

> > Offline reading then is possible e.g. with exmh.
>
> And with tin too ???

Dont know. The versions available for RBSD I guess dont. The version
running on a hpux does it.

> BTW, what I would like to know: Will you then be able to use any newsreader,
> or is it only possible with newsreaders that support a local news dir ?

Only any newsreader that supports local news dirs.

> > Sadly I know no way for offline posting of news. I guess for this you have to
> > set up a complete newsserver on your machine :(
>
> Is this a real solution ? I mean, AFAIK, when newsservers talk to each other
> then a different protocol is used compared to simply fetching/posting.
> So will the newsserver allow it ?

A real newsserver will allow it, but tin is no newsserver. It's only a
good newsreader.
Either you try to compile slrn (someone wrote about it) or you try to
install a complete newsserver like INN, but this seems to be a to big
overkill for this problem, even because INN is everything then easy to
install.

Ciao, Peter