Subject: Re: mail/news programs
To: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/06/1997 13:54:21
In message <199708050938.LAA00564@Kyra.FutureGroove.de> you wrote:

> POP3 is possible with the popclient set, but for outgoing mails you have to
> configure sendmail because popclient doesn't handle this.
>
> Offline reading of news is possible if you fetch and save the intresting
> groups with tin:
> (before you must create the spool directory with 'mkdirhier /var/spool/news')
>
> tin -n -q -r -c -S -f ~/.newsrc.save -s /var/spool/news
>
> my ~/.newsrc.save contains (list of all groups to fetch):
>
> maus.sys.archimedes:
> maus.sys.atari.f030:
>
> Offline reading then is possible e.g. with exmh.

And with tin too ???

BTW, what I would like to know: Will you then be able to use any newsreader,
or is it only possible with newsreaders that support a local news dir ?

> Sadly I know no way for offline posting of news. I guess for this you have to
> set up a complete newsserver on your machine :(

Is this a real solution ? I mean, AFAIK, when newsservers talk to each other
then a different protocol is used compared to simply fetching/posting.
So will the newsserver allow it ?

Otherwise, could you use a mail-to-news gateway ?

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske