Subject: mail/news programs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/04/1997 16:33:39
Hi there!

I have finally managed to get a working version of RiscBSD v1.2, so far I am
also able to browse the WWW using Mosaic, sending mail using mail and reading
Usenet news using knews.

But there are still a few points I have not yet been able to figure out:

1) various knews problems.
--------------------------
When I try to start knews with an ordinary user-id, knews is unable to
create the various knews-files, first and foremost the directory/file
knews/config-<news-server-name> even though the privileges of the users
home-directory are drwxrwxrwx and the privileges of the .knews directory
are similar. The privileges of the knews program are r-xr-xr-x with owner
and group id set to bin.

Despite the missing files knews runs ok, but of cause no status-information
is saved (when knews terminates?).

The root user-id has no problem creating the various config-files.

If I try to post a news-message from knews, then it get posted but immediately
after knews terminates with the following error:

Error: Cannot perform realloc

There is not core-dump. What can I do to avoid this error?

2) fetching news and mail.
--------------------------

Allthough it is nice to be able to read Usenet news online I would prefer
to download it and read it offline. Which programs do I have to install,
configure and run to be able to fetch Usenet news and mail at my ISP?

I guess it should be something similar to !FreeNews and !Pop which I am
using on the RiscOS platform at the moment, but I have not been able to
find any documentation about this :-(

Best regards
  Ib-Michael
--