Subject: Re: CD Writers
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steffen Huber <hubersn@trick.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/04/1997 09:01:45
sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Has anyone got any experience of CD writers under RISC BSD (or even RISC
> OS at a push)? Are there any particular ones recommended or any caveats in
> their use?

I think the RiscBSD drivers are probably a little too slow. Maybe it
would be possible if you keep your data on an IDE disc and write the
CD with single speed, but probably not.

Under RISC OS this seems to be easy. I have written my own CD writer
application, and there seems to be plenty of speed left when
writing with double speed. I am using a Philips CDD2000 as this type
(and of course the compatible ones like HP4020i, Grundig CDW100,
Plasmon 4220...) is probably the only one to have a free documentation
of its SCSI command set.

I am currently writing the GUI and the ISO9660 image generating (I want
to do it on-the-fly, hence not porting mkisofs (and because of my
nil knowledge of C). When it is ready, the application will be released,
probably as shareware.

I am using a StrongARM Risc PC with a 16bit Power-tec SCSI2. I
have tested the writing with disabled data cache and it worked
just great, so there seems to be a chance for slower machines.

There could be a problem with other SCSI podules however, as I am
using a SCSI_Control SWI to do the sensing on my own. I don't know
how compatible the various podules are.

Mail me if you have more questions.

So long, Steffen

P.S.: Audio reading and writing works great, too ;-)