Subject: Re: ldconfig needed
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Wittrock <in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/01/1997 21:15:59
In message <9708011732.ZM8575@picasso.me.ic.ac.uk>
          "Robert Black" <r.black@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> --PART-BOUNDARY=.19708011732.ZM8575.me.ic.ac.uk
>
> On Aug 1,  5:17pm, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Subject: Re: ldconfig needed
> > Andreas Wittrock wrote:
> > >
> > > Where can I get a port of ldconfig for RiscBSD?
> > > Or is it included in one of the sets.
> > > --
> > > Andreas Wittrock =8F Email: in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de
> > >

> > My understanding is that it will be in the new release of
> > RiscBSD. Until now, -fpic didn't work in gcc/arm32 =3D> there was no
> > need for it.
>
> Ahah - I was slightly puzzled by the original question but think I might
> now understand. At a wild guess you (Andreas) are building your own
> binaries from source in which case you would get a reference to ldconfig
> in your rc script.
> If this is the case just comment it out - all it does is set up the
> database of shared libs.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob
>
> --PART-BOUNDARY=.19708011732.ZM8575.me.ic.ac.uk--

Ok, Rob you guessed right.  What I still try to do is to compile KDE for
RiscBSD. I had some little progress the last weeks and when I had a look
at /etc/rc.local I found to my surprise that RiscBSD is looking for it at
startup. But in case of not finding it there is no errormessage. so I
didn't know.  But this made me think there could be a port for NetBSD
around. This seems to be right to ports of NetBSD for others processors.
I've got the sources for it from a Linux archive, but I can't compile it
because there's some assemblercode inside for ix86, m68k, etc., but not
for arm processors.
 I know what ldconfig does, and I even know there are no shared libs for
RiscBSD at the moment (but I might be wrong).

So I'll have to wait for the next release of RiscBSD, an maybe KDE has
moved from alpha to beta stage. It would be nice to have it for RiscBSD.

Bye, and sorry for my bad english.
--
Andreas Wittrock, mailto:in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de