Subject: Re: installing riscbsd
To: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
From: Anthony O'Doherty <anthony@audiophile.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/01/1997 12:09:37
Scott Stevens wrote:

> Joop Brandes writes:
>  > Hi
>  > I tried to install RISCBSD but it failed.
>  > rd0: allocated 0k
>
> Ah, This is bad. What version of the booter do you have. Not too long
> ago NetBSD renamed the rd device to md. If you have a new booter then
> the ramdisc option on the booter will use the wrong name for old
> kernels. If this is the case add "ramdisc=1440K" to the extra options
> box in the booter.
>
>  > panic cannot make root
>  > stopped at 0xf01187e4 r11(r11, r13, r15)
>  > db>

Got an almost but not entirely similar problem. My machine is a RPC SA 700,
48Mb DRAM, 2Mb VRAM, Powertec SCSI II card and a Syquest EZ 135 drive and
I'm attempting an install with Bootloader version 2.87 (October 1996) and
kernel 4713 (30/10/96). My StongArm is one of the earlier Clan ones (with
ART's hardware mod to allow it to run in my machine) and the RPC is one of
the very first 700 series.

I know that the Syquest is too small (Jazz drive arrives today :-) for a
RiscBSD install, but I don't even get that far.

The kernel boots, happily finds all my devices, SCSI & ATAPI CD roms
included, and then chokes on the ramdisc.

Bootloader options are:
	Root Device:		/dev/rd0a
	Swap Device:		/dev/sd0b
	Boot Type:		Single User Mode
	Other options: 		nbuff=500
	Max processes:		50
	RAM disc: 		1440K

The message given is:

rd0: allocated 1440K (2880 blocks)
panic failed to load ramdisc

Stopped at	0xf0118284:	ldmdb	r11, {r11, r13, r15}
db>

Reverting to an earlier kernel with my trusty (read slow!) ARM 710 back
onboard allows everything to work just fine. The ramdisc loads, copies the
files off the boot floppy and gets on with the installation.

I've tried the kernel sa110-4958, but it only gets as far as:

	initarm: Primary bootstrap ... done.

and then the machine hangs.

Any ideas or advice would be very welcome.

Anthony O'Doherty
--
mailto:anthony@audiophile.com