Subject: Re: installing riscbsd
To: Joop Brandes <joopbran@worldaccess.nl>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/01/1997 09:37:59
Joop Brandes writes:
 > Hi
 > I tried to install RISCBSD but it failed.
 >
 > I have a RISCPC 600 with SA with 24 DRAM and 2 MB VRAM. I have the orininal IDE drive and 2 SCSI drives. The SCSI card is the CUAMA SCSI 2.
 > The drives are 3067 MB Quantum and 1034 MB IBM. The last I use for RISCBSD.
 > I have one RISCOS partion 400.1 MB, 600  remains for RISCBS.
 > I run bb_riscbsd and  RISOS use the cylindrs 0 -1896 and I set the the cylinder 1897 as starting cilinder for RISCBSD.

Erm., I assume you've partitioned your disk using !SCSIMgr and then
run bb_riscbsd on the device. Along the lines of:

Run !SCSIMgr and clear the partition table using "clear". Allocate
400Mb for use with RiscOS. Partition the RiscOS portion as
desired. Initialise the partitions. Quit !SCSIMgr.

!SCSIMgr should have written an appropriate offset into you bootblock
(but with the wrong identifier). If this is not the case use the
sector offsets of the RiscOS portion of the device to calculate a
cylinder offset (round this *up* to the nearest cylinder if it is not
a whole number).

Run bb_riscbsd on the *first* RiscOS partition of the device (you only
have one RiscOS partition so this will be the one. Answer the
questions and update the bootblock (Hopefully bb_riscbsd should print
out the offset it sees in the bootblock that !SCSIMgr placed there.)

Now install RiscBSD as instructed.

 > Booting RISCBSD
 > I use the bootloader riscbsd.SA110-4740
 > Root devive /dev/rd0a/
 > Swap device /dev/sd1b/
 > ram disc 1440 kb
 >
 > A lot of messages appears on the screen about the machine configuration.
 > I have made a note of the important messages.
 >
 > sd1 at scsibus0 targ  6
 > sd1: 1034 MB, 4903 cyl, 4 head, 108 sec 512 bytes/sec
 > lp1-bio = 00108409 1pl_net = 00100000 1pl-tty = 00100000 1pl-clock = 0010000
 > 1p1-imp = 00100000 1p1-none = 00000000
 >
 > swap dev 1809 sd1: no disk label
 > ->device not configured for swap

This is expected as you've not labelled the disk yet.

 > rd0: allocated 0k

Ah, This is bad. What version of the booter do you have. Not too long
ago NetBSD renamed the rd device to md. If you have a new booter then
the ramdisc option on the booter will use the wrong name for old
kernels. If this is the case add "ramdisc=1440K" to the extra options
box in the booter.

 > panic cannot make root
 > stopped at 0xf01187e4 r11(r11, r13, r15)
 > db>
 >
 > Help welcome

Good luck.

 > Joop Brandes

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"So, so you think you can tell, Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.