Subject: Re: Qt already ported?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Wittrock <in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/31/1997 13:38:29
In message <c=DE%a=_%p=ixos%l=MICKEY-970731095241Z-2468@mickey.munich.ixos.de>
          "Roland Groepmair" <roland.groepmair@munich.ixos.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Has anyone already ported Qt to RiscBSD?  For info concerning Qt look
> at: http://www.troll.no
> I'm using voyager kernel, 1.2D. The lib compiled gracefully with gcc 2.7.2.
> But every example program from the tutorial crashes with segmentation
> fault  =8-((( I can give you more info if nobody has already tried porting Qt.
> I tried to compile Qt, because I want to have a look at KDE
> ( http://www.kde.org ).
> I think this project is very interesting. Any comments?
>
> Bye, Roland

Ok, I althought compiled Qt for RiscBSD. It took about 3.5 hours using
netbsd-gcc-static as an option on my RiscPC 600. And I get the same
errors. Only the tutorial example t1 worked, well tried to work. It opened
a window for very short time and vanished immidiatly with the described
error above. Maybe it has something to do with static linked libraries.
Are there dynamic linked libraries in the new release of RiscBSD about mid
august?

If want to compile KDE then you need GNU make. The BSD make has problems
working recursivly. Futhermore you may install GNU autoconf and automake.
The main problem will be the lack of ldconf. It is a Linux tool for
linking libs an configuring the file /etc/lib.so.conf. You need this file
for compiling kdelibs as it contains the path where to install the
libraries. I compile kde from /usr/src/kde/kde* where KDEDIR points to
/usr/local/kde.

ATM i compiled kdesupport and kdelibs. But make install on kadebase gives
an error 'virtual memmory exhausted'. I've got 64MB RAM and enough free
swap, I thought about 64MB :). How I can check the swap partition. df -i -
k gives only information on / mounted on sd1a, /user (sd1e) and /usr
(sd1f)?

BTW you'll have to add some lines to config.guess an config.sub inside
kde* dirs to recognize the RiscBSD system. In config.guess find the lines

    arm:RISC*:1.[012]*:*|arm:riscix:1.[012]*:*)
	echo arm-acorn-riscix${UNAME_RELEASE}
	exit 0 ;;

and add the following after it

    arm32:NetBSD:*:*)
	echo arm32-acorn-netbsd${UNAME_RELEASE}
	exit 0 ;;

many lines below (about line no 630) find

#if defined (__arm) && defined (__acorn) && defined (__unix)
  printf ("arm-acorn-riscix"); exit (0);
#endif

and add the following

#if defined (__arm32)
  printf ("arm32-acorn-netbsd"); exit (0);
#endif

Here I only added what know is defined. Maybe someone at the kernelteam
could check and maybe correct(?) the lines. I don't know how to verify
wether (__acorn) and (__unix) are defined in RiscBSD. There might be
something other defined to proove the system type for NetBSD/arm32, but I
don't know.

In config.sub you should check for the apperance of '| arm |' and add '
arm32 |'. It's in line 152.  In line 172 add after '| arm-* |' the
following ' arm32-* |'. At line 786 check for

case $basic_machine in
	*-acorn)
		os=-riscix1.2
		;;

and insert

	arm32-acorn)
		os=-netbsd
		;;

Be warned, you make these changes at your on risk! They worked for me, but
they may be incorrect. Again, is someone at the kernelteam willing to
verify my changes an send them (corrected?) to the GNU-team, so RiscBSD
will be recognized correct in later editions of GNU-software? BTW, I tried
to compile GNU binutils with my changed config files. But there are still
lines to add in other files. Someone managed it?

Finally I'm sorry for this long posting, but I'm happy to see there's
someone other working on KDE. It will be a very good replacement for fvwm,
if it works.

Bye,
Andreas
--