Subject: Re: Floppy installation from CD-ROM
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/14/1997 14:23:11
> Help!

> I have copied the 1.2 sets onto floppy and have made a RiscBSD
> boot floppy and I have managed to get as far as step 28 of the
> installation instructions.

A slightly easier way is to copy from the CD-ROM directly to your RiscBSD
partition using UnixFS, after you've created the /usr partition.

> At step 28 it says type   /usr/local/sbin/inst   but I am
> getting a message to say that I must be root to run this
> program.  Without even the distribution sets on the h/disk I am
> at a loss as how to progress.

Did you have the 'single user' box ticked in the bootloader when you tried
this? If you did, then it may be that the program the script uses to
determine whether or not the user running it is root is missing; creating
it along the lines of a file containing the text

#!/bin/sh
echo root

may help...

> PS Why don't the 1.2 kernels like my Cumana CD-ROM? and because
> of this fail to recognise my hard disk?

I wish they did, too - the little interface card between the CDROM and the
IDE bus makes the drive sufficiently ATAPI incompatible for the RiscBSD
driver not to work; I think work is in hand to get round this one, tho...?

I've been using RiscBSD with the CD-ROM attached, and never had complaints
from the kernel, tho - it just ignores it completely.

Best,

Dan.