Subject: Re: installation usual problems
To: Jonathan Scott <J.C.Scott@open.ac.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/09/1997 09:43:35
Jonathan Scott writes:
 > I have just changed my cumana 300 to a proper atapi cd, because of
 > being unable to install Risc BSD
 >
 > I aml getting problem with a number of errors during start up

These are probably actually debugging messages. I believe Mark has
some kernels without these messages.

 > and panic
 > unable to mount root

OK This is more serious. What drive is it ? Does the drive light come
on ?

 > , I think I still
 >  have compatibilty problems with my drive since it gives a page of
 > atapi start /init  errors, immediatly after rd0 = 1440k (or some thing
 > like that). What concerns me about  the drive is that it was fitted
 > with a risc os floppy driver, which it does not function without under
 > risos.

You needn't worry about that. RiscBSD uses a complete independent
driver.

 > My brothers disc required no driver, for his CD, is their a
 > clear statard for ATAPI,

Yes and no. I believe there is a standard but most drives have
quriks. on Win95 startup floppy there is no generic ATAPI CDROM
driver. Every one is drive specific.

 > and are all ATAPI drives normally supported
 > by RISCBSD.

I've not heard of one not working...

 > Also is the setup master slave/critical for riscBSD mine is set CD
 > slave / 2G hard drive master

Shouldn't matter, but somethimes there are conflicts with drives (some
hard drives won't slave to other hard drives).

 > , why is acd0, and not acd1 .

This is down to the kernel configuration. Usually devices declared as:

acd*	at wdc?

This means that acd devices will be allocated numbers sequentially as
they are found... There is a way to force numbers to specific
positions but I can't remember how to differentiate between the master
and slave (I think it's port).

so

acd0	at wdc0	port 0
acd1	at wdc0 port 1

will number them according to their position...

 > Any ideas

Get a new kernel from Mark (specify whether you're using SA or not).

 > boot dev  /dev/acd0

Looks good.

 > swap /dev/wd0b

Likewise

 > kernal from CD

Which kernel are you using ?

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
Death leaned over the saddle and looked down at the kingdoms of the