Subject: Re: Compiling the GIMP
To: None <skilling@signal.dra.hmg.gb>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/08/1997 04:47:03
In message <KAA12690@jarre.dra.hmg.gb> you wrote:

> I just thought I'd let you know my experience with
> this. I hadn't yet tried to compile anything this big
> on RiscBSD. It was remarkably easy.

That's good news. I had a look at it a few months ago, but at that time
it was still using Motif, IIRC, although the GIMP homepage already said
that they would move over to a different (freely available) toolset soon.

> If you every wondered if there were any good free
> painting packages under X stop looking now !

Yes, I've heard it's pretty good. It's also got very interesting functions
for automatic image creation, a sort of script language AFAIK.

ATM, I'm waiting for an update of the kernel to give true SA performance
and better SCSI performance before I try anything serious. At this
stage RiscBSD is just to slow for anything but playing
(not to mention the fact that I've slightly corrupted my installation,
ie the kernels I use either don't support the CDOM or are unable to
run 'ps'. I've realized some of the errors I made now, perhaps I'll
have another go in a week or so).

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske