Subject: Compiling the GIMP
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian Ian Skilling <skilling@signal.dra.hmg.gb>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/07/1997 10:21:46
Not sure if you folks have heard about this yet.
It was new to me.

GIMP stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program,
it is a free Photoshop clone and is very powerful
indeed. Having layers, selections, etc... Its
only at version 0.99.10 at the mo so its still quite
unstable.

So, I tried to compile into for RiscBSD. It went
very well. Just needed a few changes.

1. Changes reference of `arm' in configure scripts
   to `arm32' so I could the port was valid.
   (config.sub if I remember correctly, lots of them)
2. Makefile seems to be for debug versions, which it
   should not have been so. If I didn't remove them
   I could not link, even with 300Mb swap space !
3. plug-ins/CML_explorer.c
   Added #include <sys/errno.h>
4. And, I specified non-shared libraries when running
   configure but this might be detected automatically

You will also need libjpeg, libtiff and xpm to get
it to compile. I don't have libtiff yet, anyone
know where I can get this ?

I just thought I'd let you know my experience with
this. I hadn't yet tried to compile anything this big
on RiscBSD. It was remarkably easy.

If you every wondered if there were any good free
painting packages under X stop looking now !

Bye
--
Adrian