Subject: Re: Stability
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/06/1997 10:52:20
On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Chris Cowdery wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I've got some kernel stability problems with RiscBSD.
> I've got an SA-110, so I've been using kernel 4740, which is
> quite stable. But it still keeled over lots, so I upgraded to
> 4958 which turned out to be much worse. I've gone back to
> 4740, but I can't use it in anger.
>
> The kernel fails with errors such as a page fault, and bombs
> to the kshell prompt. Most programs I try to use do it occasionally
> which leads me to believe that it is the kernel.
There are two things to suggest here. Atfer a panic occurs you can get a
stack backstrace from the kernel with by typing trace at the kshell
prompt. IIRC These kernels did have some problems with interrupt masking
which made them unreliable occaisionally.

The other is to try the much later voyager kernels #5328 which are support
StrongARM and AR6/7 cores in the same kernel and contain a lot of bug
fixes. I have found kernels of this generation very stable and a bit
quicker than some of the older ones.

--
Mike Pumford   | Home: mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk