Subject: Installing RiscBSD for first time...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Cheadle <amc4@doc.ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/26/1997 19:38:44
Hi there,

I wonder if someone can help me.

I am installing RiscBSD for the first time onto a Direct Access 2292 MBytes
FUJITSU M2952S-512 SCSI harddrive. The SCSI controller is a Powertech SCSII
card.  My problem occurs at the installation program running under RiscBSD (/install) - I'm not entirely sure how to work out the size of the RiscBSD partition and its offset/the size of the RiscOS partition in cylinders. I understand that normally if bb_riscbsd was used the info woul be available to me, but since
I am using the Powertech card I do not run bb_riscbsd (as instructed in manual) and am not sure about trying to calculate these values from the data available - wrong move and *bang* goes my RiscOS partition.  I was wondering how others have gone about this, is there any software I can use to probe my drive?

If it is to be done by hand using the available info then could someone give me a hand...

1150Mb RiscOS partition and 1141Mb empty partition setup with the PowerMgr.
I am mounting this drive over sd0 and wish to install to the empty 1141Mb partition. It is a 2291Mb (info from RiscBSD side, 2292Mb from RiscOS side) SCSI HD
with 5714 cylinders, 5 heads, 164 sectors 512 bytes/sector

Also how many cylinders are then allocated to the root and swap partitions?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

*	       Andy Cheadle - a.cheadle@doc.ic.ac.uk                *