Subject: Re: teTeX, sh, bash, & fax.
To: Kim G. S. yhus <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/25/1997 22:38:27
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Kim G. S. yhus wrote:

> Well, I just compiled teTeX on my own, and made it work, mostly.
> However, I noticed something weird: In order to make it work,
> the shellscript that makes fonts has to use /usr/local/bin/bash.
> With the default /bin/sh, it does not work. An error with stdout
> when writing font .log files.
> Is there something wrong with /bin/sh?
I suspect that the teTeX distribution was only tested on Linux systems
where /bin/sh is bash. So the script probably relies on a bash extension
somewhere.

> Anyway, the reason I compiled teTeX, was to be able to write
> documents for faxing. So I have compiled hylafax, and made it
> work, mostly. However, lines get lost during sending, and the
> only possible place they can get lost, is from the computer to
> the modem.

> Any suggestions as to how to avoid this loss of bytes sent
> over the serial line?

I can think of 2 possibilities which might cause this:

1.	Flow control is not set up correctly. I know that when sending at
	high speed the flow control cuts in quite quickly.
2.	The modem is changing data rate when the fax transmission starts.
	According to the documentation that came with mgetty and sendfax
	this is a fairly common problem with fax modems.

Mike

--
Mike Pumford   | Home: mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk