Subject: Re: GCC 2.7.2.1 and register variables
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/09/1997 10:50:40
prlw1@cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Steve Dicks wrote:
> >
> > I seem to have found a problem with the 'register' keyword in GCC 2.7.2.1
> > I compiled GnuChess and XBoard up, and found that GnuChess kept crashing.
> > By '#define register' (so that register is defined away) in the main
> > header file the problem go away.
>
> Which versions did you compile? gnuchess 4.0.pl77 and xboard 3.5
> "worked for me" a while back on an arm6. Mind you I had the problem
> with gnuplot.

Hmm worked fine for the version in the NetBSD source tree (from current
about 2-3 weeks ago), were you compiling with or without optimisation?
and if so what level. (note that some optisations do strange things)

Also is anyone interested in having a set for gcc 2.7.2.2, not sure what
if any are the changes but it might make a difference.

Chris