Subject: Re: NFS mount permission denied
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <dah103@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/04/1997 16:54:43
S.J. Borrill" <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > However when I try doing an ls on the mountpoint I get a "permission
> > > denied" error. (Yes I did a "chmod a+rwx" on both mounted directory
> > > and the mount point).

> > This sounds like you may be running NFS on an insecure port on the Linux
> > box with RiscBSD configured to reject insecure NFS. I don't know enough
> > about Linux to know how to tell nfs to run on a secure port. It should
> > be in one of the nfs man pages though.

> I get this occasionally when using two RiscBSD boxes. The -P option to
> mount_nfs does fix it, but what can be done to cure it permanently?

In my (fairly considerable) experience with Linux's NFS systems, it is
probably easier (and more reliable) to get the BSD machine to accept
non-root NFS requests.  IMHO this restriction is silly anyway, as there
are so many single-user PC-type machines which allow anything to grab
ports below the 1024 mark with impunity that the root restrictions are all
but useless now anyway.

The other thing to check is your exports file.  Most exports file parsers
I've looked at (Linux's and IIRC BSD's too) are broken in a number of
respects (mine is, too, before you ask ;-).  You are best off making sure
that each machine is explicitly named in the exports file, with the
correct options on each, and not relying on any wildcards in addresses.

IIRC, adding a '-P' to the commandline of the nfsd should make it ignore
root ports, but you'd better check the man page.

--
Dickon Hood.

Due to Windoze NiceTry, my .sig is out of order.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

By sending spam mailings to this address, you a: agree to receive 40MB of
random data, and b: agree to pay me 100UKP for the time spent in sending it.