Subject: Re: More RapIDE problems
To: None <cg110@ug.cs.york.ac.uk>
From: Philip Blundell <pjb27@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/01/1997 11:45:41
On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> > On a lighter note, how likely is it for the Oak recorder to be
> > supported under RiscBSD?  I'm currently trying to dig up info on it for
> > RiscOS, so I could probably help anybody if it was done :)
> > I realise of course that proper sound support needs to be done for
> > RiscBSD, but still :)
>
> Interesting point, if you actually get a driver to work with just a
> parallel port, no asm, you could pheasibly use the oak-recorder on any
> unix system with a parallel port...

Parallel ports aren't sufficiently generic that you can do that, sadly.
You could certainly write the driver in C but you would probably have lots
of hardware-dependent code there.  We're working on generic parallel port
support for Linux at the moment to solve just this problem.

The Oak Recorder is a pretty simple device though.  It oughtn't to take
long to write a driver if anybody wanted one - it's basically just a
serial ADC connected to the printer port.

p.