Subject: Re: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
From: Jason O'Broin Desktop-SP <jobroin@madge.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/28/1997 12:08:54
> What scsi id is the cdrom? the scsi card is hardwired to 7 and so the
> CDROM should be something other than 7.

My SCSI card is id 7 and the CDROM is id 3, both of which seems
reasonable.
The CD ROM is on the internal interface. There is nothing on the external
interface.

> Where is your SCSI bus termination? Ensure that you have termination
> on both ends of the bus, and only at the ends... ie. if you have only
> internal or external devices then you must set the card's termination,
> otherwise it must be turned off.

I've set termination on the Cumana adapter (done from software), but
there
doesn't appear to be any termination on the Sony CDU-561 CD ROM drive
(its one that came out of an old MEU unit), and none of the jumpers at
the
rear of the drive enable termination.

I'm assuming that, as a result, there is no termination, and I've got a
resistor
pack on order.

However, the CD-ROM works normally (under RISC OS), happily passes the
diag tests that Cumana's SCSIDiag program runs, and I can get as far as
getting
the NETbsd kernel to load off it. What happens in the scsibus0 phase?

Jason
--
     Jason O'Broin - Senior Development Engineer, ATM Adapter Group
Madge Networks, Sefton Park, Bells Hill, Stoke Poges, Slough SL2 4JS. UK