Subject: Re: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: Jason O'Broin Desktop-SP <jobroin@madge.com>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/27/1997 18:49:52
Jason O'Broin Desktop-SP writes:

 > (I have also tried a few other variations (e.g. single user mode) to no
 > avail.
 >
 > After selecting boot, the kernel comes up and finds the various system
 > devices correctly
 > (i.e. cpu0, fpe0, iomd0, pioc0, fdc0, fd0, lpt0, com0, com1, wdc0, wd0,
 > wd1, quadmouse0,
 >    beep0, vidcaudio0, kbd0, iic0, rtc0, vidcvideo0, rpc0..5, podulebus0)
 >
 > All this seems pretty reasonable.
 >
 > The final three lines are finding the SCSI adapter after which the CD ROM
 > drive
 > is spun up and accessed and then nothing else happens
 >
 > podule0 at podulebus0 : Cumana : SCSI II interface : SCSI-2 & CDFS
 > Expansion Card
 > csc0 at podulebus0 [ podule 0 ]: dmabuf V0xf25e7000 P0x103cc000 host=7
 > scsibus0 at csc0
 > [CD Drive mounts, spins and then stops]

What scsi id is the cdrom? the scsi card is hardwired to 7 and so the
CDROM should be something other than 7.

Where is your SCSI bus termination? Ensure that you have termination
on both ends of the bus, and only at the ends... ie. if you have only
internal or external devices then you must set the card's termination,
otherwise it must be turned off.

 > I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Anyone got any good ideas?
 >
 > TIA,
 >
 > Jason

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"There is no pain you are receding, A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.