Subject: Re: IDEFS driver
To: Bevis Peters <bevis@apg.ph.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1997 16:09:46
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Bevis Peters wrote:

> I have an old Desktop Projects IDE card in my RPC for which RBSD has no driver
> (I am not surprised). If I tracked down the cards specs, would it be fairly
> easy to hack the ADFS driver to match my IDE card? How much detail do I need to
> know about the card? I'm a compatent coder, but have never written anything
> like this. And I can't spell.

Ok adding new IDE drivers is quite simple as the main part of the IDE
driver is generic and you just need card attach functions.

The basic info needed is

addresses of drive registers for primary connector
addresses of drive regisyers for secondary connector (if present)
addresses of aux status registers

address of interrupt enable register and bit pattern
address of interrupt status register and bit pattern

IF the card does not have an aux status register then you will need the
address of the register that provide the reset control.

If you can find this info then it should not be difficult to write the
card specific part of the driver.

Cheers,
				mark