Subject: Re: New release cd
To: Jonathan Scott <J.C.Scott@open.ac.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1997 11:38:25
Jonathan Scott writes:
 > Hi, I just bought the CD at Wakefield and was having trouble with

Oh dear.

 > I did have a version 1.1 running last year but had to give
 > it up after a harddisc failure etc. I am failing to get past first base
 > in that I have yet to succeed in running the install script. I have a
 > cumana ide cd rom drive 300i. If I follow the modified  instructions I
 > get a panic message failing to mount the root.

Did you read the install.sup on the floppy ?

 > This may not be
 > suprising since the ATAPI driver is on the floppy!

Was this one we supplied ? If not a different ATAPI kernel will be
available shortly (without debugging code), this was distributed at
the show for CDs sold late on Sunday. The kernel will be available via
ftp from the usual place, or on floppy if this is more convenient.

 > I wanted to make a
 > bootable floppy but could not find the files on the disc so I
 > downloaded from the net. I created a floppy. When using this I get a
 > lot further but the after I do get fd0 soft errorsfollow by a four
 > digit number (which seems different every time), after entering the /
 > and /swap partition size I get rd0 read only file system errors, and
 > the script terminates without partitioning the disc.

The fd0 soft errors are caused by SA cache cleaning degrading
interrupt latency (I believe). The read only filesystem bit looks like
the ramdisc is failing to mount.

But more to the point most if the install instruction (install.sup)
depend upon the fact that you've booted from the CD directly.

 > I saw the note
 > about options and adding "ramdisc=1440k" but so far no improvement.

You didn't type the '"'s as well did you ? The reason I typed the '"'s
was to highlight the fact that the options are space seperated.

 > I hope someone could enlighten me

Hope so.

 > Thanks
 >
 > Jon

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
Chandler: [to Joey] "If you tried something like that on my birthday,