Subject: Re: New release cd
To: Jonathan Scott <J.C.Scott@open.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1997 10:49:06
> Hi, I just bought the CD at Wakefield and was having trouble with
> it up after a harddisc failure etc. I am failing to get past first base
> in that I have yet to succeed in running the install script. I have a
> cumana ide cd rom drive 300i. If I follow the modified  instructions I

  Ah. Is the cumana 300i an ATAPI drive?  If it's the one that has the
little daughter card that you stick into the botoom of the main unit then
it's an SLCD drive which isn't recognised by NetBSD and probably never
will be. I used to have one, but bought myself a nice cheap ATAPI drive
at Wakefield for precisely this reason.

  When the kernel starts booting, do you get something like this

atapibus0 at wdc0
acd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <Pioneer CD-ROM ATAPI Model DR-A12X  0202, , E1.00A> type 5/cdrom removable

at about the same time as the ide harddisk is recognised?

If not, you definitely don't have an ATAPI drive, and you'll have to
transfer the files to unix usinr unixfs.

I.e. you'll have to boot off ramdisk loaded off floppy, and set up your
base unix partitions, then instead of loading sets, you create a world
writeable directory, quit back to RiscOS, and write the sets into it
using unixfs, then boot off the HD, and install the sets.

> suprising since the ATAPI driver is on the floppy! I wanted to make a
> bootable floppy but could not find the files on the disc so I
> downloaded from the net. I created a floppy. When using this I get a
> lot further but the after I do get fd0 soft errorsfollow by a four
> digit number (which seems different every time), after entering the /
> and /swap partition size I get rd0 read only file system errors, and
> the script terminates without partitioning the disc. I saw the note
> about options and adding "ramdisc=1440k" but so far no improvement.

  Have you set the root device to be fd0a rather than rd0a (or md0a
depending on how new your kernel is)?

  Hope I've been of some help!

Ale.