Subject: Re: NetBSD/arm32 improvements [was Re: Wakefield show]
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/1997 20:29:46
On May 20, 11:17am, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> Subject: Re: NetBSD/arm32 improvements [was Re: Wakefield show]
> > This concerns me slightly, as outlined above. Perhaps Mark or Neil can
> > allay my fears/concerns ?
>
> I'm not Mark or Neil, and don't speak for Causality.  I'm part of the
> group at DEC that's developing the Digital Network Appliance Reference
> Design (DNARD, pronounced "Shark").  For readers who don't know what
> the Shark is, take a look at: http://www.digital.com/semiconductor/dna.htm .

Thanks for clarifying DEC's position Chris.

Mostly Causality is bound by what it's clients wish to do with the code it
develops for them. Remember that RiscBSD and Causality are separate entities
and whilst we have to be careful to avoid conflicts of interest I think it is
fairly safe to say that any major problems with the kernel will be fixed in the
free tree eventually by people working on NetBSD/arm32 in their spare time (it
just might take slightly longer). Eventually I hope Causality will have enough
money that it can directly fund some really cool NetBSD developments (sadly
this is not currently the case so we'll have to continue pulling all-nighters
wearing our RiscBSD hats). Remember that the Directors of Causality are 4 of
the people who wrote the NetBSD/arm32 port in the first place and we obviously
thought it was worth putting long hours of our spare time into.

One of the reasons for the survey was to prioritise the free developments. The
RiscBSD team are likely to work through them roughly in order of priority. If a
commercial company wants to shift an item to the top they can pay Causality to
do it. If anyone has any more survey returns please email them to me before
Friday (noon, GMT). If anyone needs a copy of the survey please email me and
ask for one.

Cheers

Rob

PS I will post more on the subject tomorrow.