Subject: Re: Digital NC (was: Wakefield show)
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/1997 19:13:56
On Tue 20 May, Robert Black wrote:
> On May 19,  4:43pm, Peter Berg wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas what it will cost and where I can get one ?
> > Will it also run X11 so that it can be used either as X-terminal or as
> > discless workstation ?
>
> What we were demoing at Wakefield was a reference design (maybe this wasn't
> made quite clear enough). You will have to wait until people start producing
> products based on it. I'm sure that any interesting announcements will make
> their way onto this mailing list in due course. Watch this space...

The boxes will ship (according to the press release) from 400US to 800US,
in varying configurations. There are over 10 manufacturers currently planning
to make the devices, and there will no doubt be more later.

> PS NCOS2 will currently act as an X-Server. I don't know what NCI's future
> plans are but I think it is probably safe to say that someone somewhere will
> support X on it.

You mean NC Desktop, not NCOS 2 :-)

--
Neil A. Carson
Marketing Director              Causality Limited (London, UK)