Subject: New RapIDE RiscOS drivers Warning
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/19/1997 16:29:36
Hi,

those that were at Wakefield may have been given the new drivers by YES,
but the others will get them in the post soon probably, I thought I'd
post this to warn people of a mistake I did, (lost whole of my RiscBSD
partition, luckily I've got it on CD from wakefield)

What not to do:
Probably not installing the v2.00 drivers until you've backup anything
important!

It appears that they write the boot block of the drives, now whether it
was just me being foolish enough to say there is a second partition on a
drive and telling Rapier that, and it rewrote the boot block, or it
automatically re-writes it I don't know, but I don't like it, be very
careful.

YES in their wisdom have now decided that RapIDE partitions start from
0, this makes the old drive 4 appear as ATAFS::0, I'll put a hacked
unixfs up on the net to get around this for unixfs.

Other things to note the machine hangs now BEFORE it displays the Risc
OS and processor text, I thought it had crashed.  Other niggles include
having to copy the install program to RAM disc, and then installing the
software to floppy disc, as it decides to unplug ATAFS, so you can't put
it on your HD's.

I do plan to let them know my opinion on this tomorrow morning, I do not
like losing a lot of work, and files that I have to download, luckily
it's just time for me, but for someone on a modem downloading the kernel
source 9MB would not be cheap, note  this does set back some of the
optimisations I'd been doing as the whole partition went, note I didn't
touch the format button anywhere!

Oh well, my advice is you keep running the old software till you have
backed up what you need and then carefully install the new ones.

Chris
(apologies to those without RapIDE cards, but I thought people should be
warned)
PS does anyone know of a way to regain information from a drive, I've
not formatted the drive or anything, I think the boot block has been
altered, but I'm not sure how to fix.  I really want all my old stuff
back, so I don't have to take apart the computer to plug my cdrom into
the internal interface to boot ATAPI.