Subject: Re: it's been a long time, this time...
To: None <gregs@ncd.com>
From: Theo Markettos <bsd-list@marketto.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/14/1997 21:46:43
In message <9705141615.AA20571@londo.ncd.com.ncd.com> you wrote:

> Has any on written a driver based on the National Semiconductors Super I/O
> Chips IDE port.   Also if you can point me in the right direction it would
> be appreciative. Greg

I'm not too experienced in Unix drivers, but the IDE interfaces on most combo
I/O chips are virtually identical, so National's PC873xx series should be
almost identical to the SMC FDC37C665GT used in the Acorn Risc PC.
Obviously, if you have a custom machine, the base address of the chip will
not be the same, and interrupt handling will be vastly different, but apart
from that the two chips should be identical in most respects.  The only
difference I noticed between the 37C665 and the 87334 data sheets is that the
configuration registers act differently.  The software side of the IDE bus is
identical.

I suggest you look at the Risc PC's motherboard IDE driver, and try to modify
that.

--
Theo Markettos			theo@marketto.demon.co.uk
Liphook