Subject: Re: it's been a long time, this time...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/14/1997 14:14:27
On May 14, 11:53am, Ale Terlevich wrote:
> Subject: Re: it's been a long time, this time...
>

> On Tue, 13 May 1997, Robert Black wrote:
>
> > To be fair we have had a few new drivers written but unless you use one of
the
> > affected cards you are unlikely to have noticed.
>
>   Does that mean the autobuild kernels have new drivers in as they're
> written?  How else are we going to have noticed drivers changing?

At least some of the new drivers appear in autobuild kernels. I suspect most of
the ones we're pushing at the show won't have appeared yet.

>   The only niggle I have which hasn't been addressed lately (unless the
> new console code has to come first) is the lack of development of X. It
> still crashes regularly. When the size of the X server reaches ~20MB (I
> have a 24MB system) it starts to go wobbly, then dies with a memory fault.
>   This happens about once a day

Well, to support the new console I basically threw the old X server away and am
rewriting it from scratch (now I understand what I'm doing). I only have a
limited amount of spare time and I had to make a choice about whether to
continue improving the old X server or put abandon it and put the extra time
into the console. Admittedly, had I realised what I was letting myself in for
on the console front I would probably have done some upgrades on the old X. As
soon as I have the new console stable enough to support X reliably I will start
releasing the new X stuff with consoles to go with it. Initially these will be
just about unusable in console mode (the console is currently so dumb it
doesn't understand backspace) but this shouldn't affect X too much. I am
currently fiddling with the mouse and keyboard interfaces.

Cheers

Rob