Subject: Re: IDEFS driver
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/13/1997 15:30:40
On May 13,  2:25pm, Bevis Peters wrote:
> Subject: IDEFS driver
> I have an old Desktop Projects IDE card in my RPC for which RBSD has no
driver
> (I am not surprised). If I tracked down the cards specs, would it be fairly
> easy to hack the ADFS driver to match my IDE card? How much detail do I need
> know about the card? I'm a compatent coder, but have never written anything
> like this. And I can't spell.

The main things you need are the addresses in physical memory where the card
registers are mapped (this usually requires a phonecall or two to the
manufacturers - if it is not a current card there are unlikely to be major
problems with non-disclosure agreements and the like). Fortunately IDE devices
are really pretty simple. I suggest you work from the RapIDE driver as a
starting point. If you've never written a device driver before then it may take
you a while to figure out how things work.

Cheers

Rob