Subject: Re: howto: get dynamic name resolving working
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/26/1997 21:07:34
> Hello
>
> I am configuring my RiscBSD system to connect to the internet.
>
> After setting up the SLIP connection I am left with one problem.
> I can not get dynamic name resolving (Bind,named) get to work.
> I have configured the /etc/resolve.conf and namedb files. If I
> try dnsquery I get a valid respons from my providers name server.
> However when I want to use another tool (ping, ftp, telnet) and start
> it with an unknown (not known in the /etc/hosts file) server I get
> 'unknown host'. Do these tools use the resolver method? If I use
> an address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) the tools work ok.

Connectivity's not the problem then - you can reach the name server ok?

> Who can give me a hint.

Ummm... Just in case - have you tried the Network config options in the
configuration script (/usr/local/sbin/rcm). This is all I had to play with
to get a LAN connection going, but as I've never had to do this for a
dial-up, there'll probably be other bits'n'bats to tweak, also.

All the tools mentioned use the resolver method to look up names, in the
order specified in /etc/resolv.conf - you might want to play with
'nslookup' as a test of the resolving setup, specifiying the IP address of
your IP's ns if you wish...

Hope this is of help,

Dan.