Subject: Re: Starting X
To: John Wilson <jwilson@cclanark.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/26/1997 18:24:55
On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, John Wilson wrote:

> I've just installed BSD from the Risc Disc 3 Cd & have installed
> all the sets including X. (kernel 4740)
>
> How do I fire it up?
>
> /usr/X11R6.1/bin/startx causes a complaint
>
> xinit: not found

You need to set you path to include /usr/X11/bin, where you do this
depends on your shells.

> Can anyone point me to any documentation about installing X?

There's a few linux how-tos around, I think one of them mentions X,
probably Xfree86.

One thing you might want to do is make some symlinks to X, the reason
being that some programs expect X in different places...

I think these are the main link you need, try these :

ln -s /usr/X11R6.1 /usr/X11
ln -s /usr/X11/include /usr/include/X11
ln -s /usr/X11/lib /usr/lib/X11

This cures some early problems.  You might also need to make quadmouse
read and writeable, I think there's some other similair hints.  Check in
the FAQ and use olly's search engine (http://noxious.muscat.co.uk/riscbsd/
I think it is)

> from a StrongARM powered Acorn Risc PC

Be warned that in X the SA stops every 30 secs for about 2 secs to flush
the disk buffers out.

Chris