Subject: howto: get dynamic name resolving working
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Smiers <lsmiers@knoware.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/26/1997 17:47:27
Hello

I am configuring my RiscBSD system to connect to the internet.

After setting up the SLIP connection I am left with one problem.
I can not get dynamic name resolving (Bind,named) get to work.
I have configured the /etc/resolve.conf and namedb files. If I
try dnsquery I get a valid respons from my providers name server.
However when I want to use another tool (ping, ftp, telnet) and start
it with an unknown (not known in the /etc/hosts file) server I get
'unknown host'. Do these tools use the resolver method? If I use
an address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) the tools work ok.

Who can give me a hint.

many thanks

Leo Smiers