Subject: Re: Performance
To: None <olly@muscat.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/16/1997 01:47:44
hi,
sorry about this being a bit belated, but I've been away for a while...

On 9 Apr 1997 olly@muscat.co.uk wrote:

> In article <"iraun1.ira.490:09.04.97.10.01.35"@ira.uka.de>, you wrote:
> >[...] ARM710/50MHz to a StrongARM110/202MHz [...]
> >The times for generating the code generator und compiling
> >22 .c files are listed below. I have 20+2MB RAM, 1GB SCSI-][ with
> >a Connect32 card.
> >
> >Proc		X11		terminal
> >----------------------------------
> >SA110	3min 44sec	3min 42sec	(kernel #4958)
> >710		4min 28sec	3min 53sec	(kernel #4740)
> >
> > I made only one run, because the results shocked me.

I've heard rumours of some jobs taking longer than on an arm710...

did you try compiling with the -pipe option, this pipes the output of the
c compiler straight into the assembler, rather than onto disk, and then
running the assembler on that file.  I think it might speed things up (if
you've got the free memory...)

> What do you get if you repeat the above but use something like the time
> command to find out where the time is actually being spent?

could be interesting.

Chris