Subject: Re: Every 20 seconds BSD hangs for 1 second
To: Peter Teichmann <sol@space.wh1.tu-dresden.de>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/12/1997 11:42:54
On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Peter Teichmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today tried the latest kernel from the autobuild directory and found,
> that every 20 seconds the system hangs completely for about 1 second,
> and the harddisk is accessed. Does anybody know what is the reason for that?

This is caused by a change in the update process in the kernel. A fix was
introduced for a bug which means that a lot of calls to pmap_enter and
other pmap stuff. On the SA110 this means that there is a _lot_ of cache
flushing going on. The update process is the one which keeps the disks
synchronised and runs at 30 second intervals. I have modified my copy of
the sources to remove the fix based on a mail message sent to this list a
while back. If you do not have kernel building facilities I could probably
build one for you and e-mail it to you with this patch.

Mike
--
Mike Pumford   | Home: mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk