Subject: Re: Performance
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/09/1997 15:20:24
On Apr 9, 12:00pm, Boris Boesler wrote:
> Subject: Performance
> Hi!
>
>  I upgraded from an ARM710/50MHz to a StrongARM110/202MHz. To see
> the speed improvement I took the compile time for a small compiler
> project. The times for generating the code generator und compiling
> 22 .c files are listed below. I have 20+2MB RAM, 1GB SCSI-][ with
> a Connect32 card.
>
> Proc	X11		terminal
> ----------------------------------
> SA110	3min 44sec	3min 42sec	(kernel #4958)
> 710	4min 28sec	3min 53sec	(kernel #4740)
>
>  I made only one run, because the results shocked me.
>
>  The question: When will there be a gcc with instruction scheduling?

How will that help?

For a small compile everything is quite likely to be dominated by I/O
performance. This is likely to be bad as I don't think we've found a way of
turning on interrupts on the Connect32 (I could be wrong on this). Polling
drivers are an absolute pain in OSes that do preemptive multitasking and there
isn't much we can do about this until we figure out how to enable interrupts on
the Connect32.

Cheers

Rob