Subject: Re: Kernel for ATAPI and Powertec
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/08/1997 20:04:49
In message <19970408.173835.39@y0001006.tu-bs.de>
     Thomas Boroske wrote:

> I've just installed RiscBSD from a CD on the second partition of a SCSI
> disc.
>
> [...]
>
> In short, could anyone tell me a good kernel with fast(er) PTec support plus
> ATAPI (ethernet isn't necessary) ??? Thankx.

The SCSI drivers are still slow compared to the internal IDE driver
because they don't use DMA (but they use interrupts, i.e. no polling,
right?)

So atm PTec users have to live with the slow disk access.

> I've heard that the voyager kernels also work with SA now, but didn't have
> any success with voy-4956 (the latest in 1.2-release/kernels, I believe).
> There are also a lot of kernels in the autobuild directory, but which
> of these could be the right one ?

I wouldn't use voy-4956 with an SA110. The xxx-4956 and xxx-4958 are the
last versions that were specifically made for either ARM6 or SA.

IIRC all kernels in the autobuild directory can be used with *both* the
ARM6 and the SA. Just get the latest one. A new kernel is built every day.

> Thomas Boroske

Regards,
   Stefan

--