Subject: Re: Booting problem!
To: Forbes Baylis <RiscBSD@trilong.demon.co.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/08/1997 18:33:35
Forbes Baylis writes:
 > 10 screens!:-  sfasintr: SCSI-RESET detected!

OK... know what this is, bet you haven't got any devices on your
bus. For some reason, the csc driver based on the amiga sfas driver
gets upset if there are no devices on the bus.

 > My SCSI card is the Cumana SCSI II interface.
 > I've tried SCSIFS Version 2.03 and 2.04 and am using SCSIMgr Version 2.59.
 > I've also tried playing with the SCSI card settings; Host ID, Boot timeout;
 > termination and bus resets, and disc settings; block trans mode, disconnects,
 > symc transfer mode etc etc, but nothing seems to work. I also tried using
 > the ARM610 card under RiscOS 3.7 but that didn't work either.

In general the RiscOS setting make no difference (including the SCSIFS
version), the exception is the card termination, which the csc driver
leaves as the RiscOS driver set it.

 > I've got 2x32MB simms and 2MB video ram and two SCSI discs; DEC RZ28 (2GB)
 > and a Micropolis (2.5GB) attached to the SCSI interface.

Ah. 2 disks... but they're not seen. Have you checked the termination
on the last device ? Most SCSI problems are bus termination
related. The rule is that the both ends of the bus need to be
terminated.

 > What am I doing wrong please, I need to get back into RiscBSD before I go
 > insane!

Have you tried a newer kernel, because sometime ago I stopped the
driver turning off card termination, the kernel your using may be
turning it off. If it is, then a terminator on the back of the card
should get things working.

There is a new driver in the pipeline based on different generic code,
therefore there will be no bug fixes to the sfas based csc driver.

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"I just don't trust that machine, man. Look, I know it's old-fashioned,