Subject: Re: Re: Preliminary RiscBSD and X programming questions
To: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/02/1997 20:12:37
> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Adrian Ian Skilling wrote:
>
> > I want to start programming in C++ for X windows.
> > I don't know where to start. Which libraries should I
> > use and which man pages should I look at. I have the
> > X11dev set.
> >
> > Also I have a few other questions.
> >
> > 1. How do I read the mouse position.
> > 2. How do I detect if a key is depressed on the keyboard.
>
> These are not really RiscBSD questions, but X questions - you need a good
> book on X programming.  Any good book will do, so long as it talks a bit
> about Xlib (which you will inevitably have to use sometime) and probably
> also one of the toolkits which provide a higher level interface to X.
>
> > I intend to write a real-time realistic helicopter simulator
> > for your information.
>
> Interesting, but I would have thought that you would be better doing this
> outside of X, perhaps using something like Peter Berg's graphics library.
> X isn't exactly reknowned for its speed :-).

libvidc currently not yet provides keyboard and mouse events, but this is on
the TODO list. ATM I redesign the intern calling process for a easier way of
adding new display types like X-windows.
X-windows support is planed for the future for libvidc (beside some other
features).
The latest addition is support for ATAPI CD-Audio calls.

Ciao, Peter

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|                            >>> FutureGroove <<<                          |
| Peter Berg                                       Music production &      |
|                                                  softwaredevelopment     |
| w3: http://www.ww.tu-freiberg.de/~pberg                                  |
| email: Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de                                      |
|                                           part time system administrator |
|                                                   at *.ww.tu-freiberg.de |