Subject: Re: Preliminary RiscBSD and X programming questions
To: Adrian Ian Skilling <skilling@signal.dra.hmg.gb>
From: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/01/1997 18:52:46
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Adrian Ian Skilling wrote:

> I want to start programming in C++ for X windows.
> I don't know where to start. Which libraries should I
> use and which man pages should I look at. I have the
> X11dev set.
>
> Also I have a few other questions.
>
> 1. How do I read the mouse position.
> 2. How do I detect if a key is depressed on the keyboard.

These are not really RiscBSD questions, but X questions - you need a good
book on X programming.  Any good book will do, so long as it talks a bit
about Xlib (which you will inevitably have to use sometime) and probably
also one of the toolkits which provide a higher level interface to X.

> I intend to write a real-time realistic helicopter simulator
> for your information.

Interesting, but I would have thought that you would be better doing this
outside of X, perhaps using something like Peter Berg's graphics library.
X isn't exactly reknowned for its speed :-).

Ben.

Ben Strawson                                            b.strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science
University College London           http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/b.strawson